Well the original mash program I designed was a quick acid rest at 86, followed by a thick-decoction heated to 145, added back into the main mash shooting for 104, then heating the whole thing to 162 and 172. Complicated, considering I can't directly heat my mash-tun.
Then it hit me, the whole point of this is to increase the amount of glucose in the mash. What if I added glucose? And glucose is just Dextrose, which I have in abundance from sausage making. So I made a modified mash involving a 20 minute Ferulic Acid Rest (clove spice!) at 113, then a sacc mash at 152, mash out at 168. Add a half-pound of dextrose in the last few minutes of boil for (theoretically) increased banana. Much, much easier.
Gravity ended up low low low, efficiency below 70%. So I added 12 oz of Light DME to spike it back up. Pulled a quart or so of the wort and boiled the DME in it for 15 min. Then cooled and pitched. Wheat. Sheesh.
So here it went:
Recipe: Ninnygeddon Hefeweizen
Est 1.048. Act. 1.041 (corrected back up)
Est FG 1.011
Est IBU 12
Est SRM 5
- 5 1/2 lbs Wheat Malt
- 2 lbs Pale Malt
- 1/2 lb MFB Special Aromatic
- 4 oz Caramel Wheat Malt
- Rice hulls added at knock out, a few handfulls.
60 minute boil
- @60 min - Sterling (pellet) 5.3% AA
- Yeast nutrient at 15
- 1/2 lb Dextrose added last 10 min
UPDATE August 13, 2010