Monday, January 12, 2009

CSA Week 6

Here's this week's CSA box:

  • Lettuce
Will go into a salad sometime this week.
  • Tomatoes (2)
Sandwiches, salad, who knows.
  • Zucchini (2)
Probably sauteed as a side one night.
  • Mizuna
Crispy Pig's Ear and Headcheese with Mizuna, Pei Tsai, Parsley and Chive Salad. Inspired by Fergus Henderson's Crispy Pig's Ear with Sorrel and Chicory from The Whole Beast. When I made the headcheese I took the ears off after about an hour and saved them. Sliced them thin and deep fried. There was massive popping and splattering, avert your eyes! Thank you splatter screen! Made a salad with the greens, dressed with a simple vinaigrette and capers. Added small slice of headcheese, topped with crispy ear crunchies, and garnished with the last of the breakfast radishes. The vinaigrette gave the headcheese a bite it really needed. The ears were crunchy and also chewy and very...porkey? This was really tasty.
  • Cabbage
My first thought was sauerkraut, but we already have some and I was thinking of making Choucroute this week. So I was thinking maybe try to make actually good Cabbage Rolls? They're always so horrible, but there must be a way to make them good, right? I'm thinking heavy cream and demi glace should help... I've got some ground beef and could grind some pork if necessary. Meanwhile M seems intent on making cabbage and seafood pancakes, maybe okonomiyaki style. Which I am also down with. Could break out the takoyaki pan too!
  • Heirloom Beans Trio
Donno, thinking a braise? Maybe with some trotter gear. I've got some pork belly that I'm brining and will roast later in the week, maybe they will be a side?
  • Curly Parsley
Half went into salad.
  • Garlic Chives
Ditto.
  • Avocado
The ice cream recipe in the newsletter seems interesting...
  • Canistel (2 + 1 extra)
Thinking ice cream as well. There's one of Norman Van Aken's here that I'm going to try.

0 comments:

Post a Comment